Recently, a Northern California yoga instructor was fired for glaring at a student who sent a text in the middle of a class. Isn’t yoga class supposed to be mind-clearing and good for the body? Sending a text during a yoga class hardly seems appropriate for such as relaxing class! This got me thinking about my pet peeves when it comes to taking a fitness class.
I belong to a gym and have checked out many Pilates and yoga studios. I have seen my share of interesting behavior during classes. Maybe I’m just a teacher’s pet, but I always do what I am told during class. Here are some of the most interesting things I’ve seen in classes —from Zumba to Body Pump to Yoga.
THE PET PEEVE LIST
- Sending a text while holding a 60 second plank. Sure it sounds challenging or maybe you are even showing off your awesome planking abilities – which I may be a little bit jealous of. But really? That text can’t wait til the end of a 60 minute class. Do the exercise right, not one handed! Proper technique will get you results!
- The person who shows up late for class and then sticks their mat right down beside yours. I got there early for class, plus I love my personal space. I don’t need someone’s mat touching mine. Needless to say I am a huge fan of the yoga studios that have tape marks on the ground. They show you exactly where to put your mat. Perfect for those who do not understand the concept of personal space
- Booty shorts are a no-no. I don’t need to see all of the person in front of me. My suggestion would be a nice pair of capris or cropped pants. They cover you up and are extremely comfortable. Plus, shorts are a no-no in hot yoga. It’s really hard to hold a pose while sweat is dripping down your legs.
- Moaning and groaning during class. Generally speaking, classes are not over the top hardcore. Moaning and groaning is uncomfortable and distracting. If you cannot handle the class, try a beginner class. Otherwise, ask the instructor for modified versions of exercises that seem too challenging for you.
- Class is not social hour. If you’ve come to chat with your girlfriends, you’ve come to the wrong place!
- Instructors who use the hands-free microphone. That just makes me laugh that’s all. I don’t really know why, but it does. Any classroom I have been has not been that large, I really do not feel the mic is necessary. I feel like I am in some sort of 80s workout video.
- People who don’t know their left from their right. Didn’t we all learn that a long time ago? I get a good laugh in Zumba when one person is going the opposite direction as everyone else.
- If the class requires using weights, please put your weights away at the end of the class. I don’t want to have to clean up after the people in the class before me.
- Have you ever been to a fitness class were the instructor is demonstrating how to do an exercise improperly? Makes me wonder if anyone can be a group fitness instructor these days!
- What about the instructors who do not introduce themselves. I like to know who the instructor is. If they are awesome, I may want to take their class again!
Isn’t getting in shape so much fun sometimes? Doesn’t it make you want a personal trainer? Well maybe a personal trainer is out of the question, but you don’t always have to hit up the gym or a studio in order to get maximal fitness results. Isn’t that music to your ears? Try Athlean-XX for Women. Get the results you want in the privacy of your own home without having to worry about the chatty girl next to you!
Have a fabulous weekend,
Frustrated Girl in Yoga Class